Mega Doctor News
HARLINGEN, TEXAS – In coordination with emergency management partners, the American Red Cross serving South Texas has opened six shelters for families impacted by severe flooding. Red Cross disaster trained responders have mobilized to provide relief and comfort to impacted families.
“Shelters have been opened to provide a safe refuge for anyone whose home may have been impacted by recent severe flooding,” said Henry Van de Putte, Regional Chief Executive Officer of the American Red Cross Texas Gulf Coast. “Our volunteers stand ready to respond should additional assistance be needed.”
As of today, the following Red Cross managed or supported shelters are available:
|Willacy County Community Safe Room||6/25||10804 Business 77 Raymondville, TX 78580||WILLACY|
|First Baptist Church||6/25||600 S Kansas Ave, Weslaco, TX 78596||HIDALGO|
|La Feria Community Safe Room||6/25||1001 Pancho Maples, La Feria, TX 78559||CAMERON|
|Mercedes SafeDome/Recreation Center||6/25||1202 North Vermont, Mercedes, TX 78570||HIDALGO|
|Edcouch Fire Department||6/25||200 W Santa Rosa Ave, Edcouch, TX 78538||HIDALGO|
|Santa Rosa Elementary School||6/25||102 S Main St, Santa Rosa, TX 78593||CAMERON|
Anyone evacuating to a Red Cross shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family:
- Prescriptions and emergency medications
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
- Important personal documents
- Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies, and other comfort items
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula,
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you
- Books, games and other ways to entertain your family and yourself
With the potential for more severe weather, the Red Cross is encouraging people to prepare by:
Be sure you’re Red Cross Ready. That means:
- Assembling an emergency preparedness kit.
- Creating a household evacuation plan that includes your pets.
- Staying informed about your community’s risk and response plans.
- Educating your family on how to use the Safe and Well website.
- Downloading the Emergency App for iPhone >> or for Android >> or by visiting redcross.org/apps.
We urge you to share these Red Cross preparedness tips with every member of your household, because the best protection is to be prepared ahead of time.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
The Red Cross mission is delivered through the commitment and passion of its volunteers. Whether you have four hours a month or four hours a day, there’s a place for you. If interested in joining the Red Cross, discover the possibilities at redcross.org/volunteer.
All Red Cross disaster assistance is free, made possible by voluntary donations of time and money from the American people.
Help people affected by disasters like hurricanes, floods,
For more updates, follow the American Red Cross Texas Gulf Coast on Twitter and Facebook at @RedCrossTXGC. You can also contact the South Texas Chapter at (956) 423-0523, visit https://www.redcross.org/local/texas/gulf-coast.html or call 1-800-REDCROSS.