Mega Doctor News
Rio Grande Valley, Texas –– The UTRGV School of Medicine (SOM) welcomed its 56 new medical residents during orientation June 22- 23 at the Edinburg Medical Education Building. The new residents began their post-graduate training July 1 in six specialties throughout the Valley.
This year, the SOM has added three new residency programs, one for Family Medicine at Knapp Medical Center, as well as one for Psychiatry, and one for Preventive Medicine. With the latest cohorts, the School of Medicine now has 140 medical residents in nine programs working at four hospitals and other institutions throughout the Valley.
Specifically, the UTRGV School of Medicine gained:
- Six residents each for its Family Medicine residency programs with McAllen Medical Center and Doctors Hospital at Renaissance (DHR);
- 10 residents for its Internal Medicine residency at Valley Baptist Medical Center;
- 12 residents for its Internal Medicine residency program with DHR;
- Four each for its Obstetrics and Gynecology, and General Surgery residency programs at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance;
- Six residents for the Family Medicine program at Knapp Medical Center;
- Six residents for the Psychiatry medical residency program; and
- Two residents for the Preventive Medicine residency program. MDN